Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Home, home on the range

So in my super excited life adventures I sometimes get to go to some super cool places, like my old stomping ground, Spokane!!! *applause* or not. Last weekend I got to visit the city of lilacs, which I am very confused as to how they got that name, its not like there are a lot of lilacs over there. I see more of those on the westside that in Spokane, but clearly I dont rule the world, because if I did then everything would make more sense. Aaaanyways, back to my worldly travels on a 1hr flight across the state...Spokane has THE best martinis, which is really confusing to me. Its a wierd little (not really actually its kind of large) town that has a ton of kitche little martini bars. I had my first go round with bacardi dragon berry rum and oh. my. gosh. it was amazing, Im talking mouthgasmic. This martini had dragon berry rum, fresh sour, soda, and strawberry liquor, shake it up, pour it in a glass and dip the rim in sugar and you have what the bar calls a dragons breath martini...in Shandys world its really just a super delicious martini that tastes like skittles. Ill have another please!!! Spokane can be such a pretty, relaxing, and sunny place. I enjoy long walks along riverfront park, lazy days shopping at the downtown nordys, and is home to my second favorite pizza of all time the black and white pizza from rock city grill. I have a love hate relationship with this cold but sunny and sometimes very very hot city. I spent a good 3 years of my life over there and while I was there I loved a lot of things about it but I hated being so far away from home. I often think about the opportunities that I am missing by moving back home and staying in the same city I grew up in, and my argument with myself is, but I moved away for a few years that counts as leaving doesn it? Technically yes, but no. I dont really have a want or a need to move anywhere, Im happy where Im at. I have a good job, Im close to everything I need to be close to, Im near my family, Im close to all my friends, I have fun coaching opportunities, and Im connected to this community. When I think about whether or not I could leave this place I like to call home I cant help but shudder at the thought. Where would I go? Why? I dont have a good reason, and its certainly not on my radar at this time but is it healthy for someone to stay in the same city all of their life and not experience a little more of the world? Am I limiting myself and my opportunities by staying here? As much as I like to think of myself as a ballsy person I really am kind of set in my ways and reluctant to change. I love change, but I cant honestly say how Id do with that kind of change. Ive done it before and I can say that it was a rollercoaster for me. I hated being away but yet I loved the freedom. I loved the weather but missed how green the other side of the state was. I hated the mass amounts of snow, but when I moved back I was thankful that my experience on the snowy side of the state taught me how to drive in it. I loved making new friends but felt that they were all artificial and werent going to last very long....which surprise surprise, most of them didnt. I guess what Im trying to get at here is what makes a person leave their comfort zone? I know a lot of people who are in the career field I am in and they move around because thats where the jobs are, and I keep thinking what if a job opportunity came up, would I be willing to move for it? I know I wont be where Im at forever, but where would I go? Where would I be willing to go? What would it take for me to uproot my life and move on? Im not really sure where I stand on this issue, I know it would take a lot, but Im not sure how much. I like to think of myself as a strong and resiliant person but when it comes down to it thats just my hard exterior talking when my interior is shouting "you might be ok for awhile, but youll never make it". I think that Dorothy had it right when she said "theres no place like home, theres no place like home." Now if only I could get my hands on a pair of those sparkly ruby slippers Id have it all.

1 comment:

  1. I know you'll make it, you have no other choice. It's all a matter of doing what makes you happy; if that means new experiences you'll just have to get used to being a bit uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete