Friday, February 18, 2011

Words that make you go blech!

So everybody has those words that make you go "blech!" when you hear them. And because I am an ass that enjoys watching peoples faces when you discover those words I have decided to compile a list of words that make you go blech. These are words that I think are gross, and potentially words that other people think arent very pleasant as well. My roommate has a list of 5 words that she cannot stand, absolutely cannot stand at all. I do not know all of the words that make her want to wretch but I know the most entertaining one thats for sure! Whenever she hears the word "moist" she gets the dry heaves. Wierd right? Talk about entertaining when you are mentioning a brand of "supermoist" cake that youre going to bake, or when a tv show talks about something being moist(Brie VanDecamp on Desperate Housewives does this quite often when describing food). It's hilarious! I cannot express how funny it is! For some reason she hates that word so much that by hearing it something physical happens to her body and she is utterly repulsed by the sound of the word. Now Im not nearly that repulsed by words, I actually have to hear something happen for me to be grossed out like that. I feel like gross words arent really gross at all, its the association that we have for them. I used to play volleyball with a girl who was really repulsed by the word "cream cheese", now that one I didnt really understand. I can see how moist can get a bad rep but cream cheese? Really? Anyways, heres a list of what I think are some of the grossest words in the english language. Secretions, this one made the list because it just sounds wierd and because of the association I have with it. Alien secretions is what it reminds me of and aliens are slimy, icky things that ooze or secrete if you will foreign liquid like substances from their pores...or maybe im just watching the wrong alien movies. Phlegm, not just a gross word because it describes something disgusting but really bad when your associations with the word are what make you shivver in repulsion. Phlegm is a word that I associate with "hocking a loogee" and the sound of somebody trying to clear the phlegm from their throat is one that when I hear it I will actually gag a little, not from hearing the word but from hearing the sound of "the clearing of the phlegm." Ech!! Mucus is another gross one, mostly because I associate it with more snotty, viscous substances. Are you beginning to see a theme here? I dont like words that can be associated with bodily excretes. Puss, fester, putrid, and smear. Icky icky. Now that Ive given a little too much thought to what these words describe Im going to go try to distract myself to get these images out of my head..Im thinking laundry should do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment