Saturday, February 26, 2011

Good morning Chicago!!

Whew! After this whirlwind of traveling these past couple days I am HERE!!! So far I can say that I am a fan of the Chi-town. Our flight yesterday was pleasant, our pilots name....wait for it....Captain Champion!!! Hahahaha, how great is that!? Whenever he would say "this is captain champion...blah blah blah pilot speak, blah blah.." I cracked up a little inside. Is that not the greatest pilots name ever!? Man, he lucked out in the name department. For once on our travels I got to sit next to Shelley on our flight, and lucky me I was the cream to the sandwich in the middle. On my left was Shelley who lucked out with the window seat, and on my right was a guy who impressed me with his in flight drinking abilities. Talk about hardcore, the guy orded two vodkas, no mixer just straight up vodka and ice, and a Heineken. Nervous flier maybe? Either way he was nice and told us all about how beautiful Chicago is in the Summer. A lot of good that does, Im here in the Winter!!!


Check in went smoothly, so far the people here are really nice, but I think thats because most of the people Ive interacted with have been customer service people. I really enjoy the opportunities that I have to travel when it comes to my job and professional development. I feel like I learn so much more and have had some great opportunities thrown my way because of the people I work with, and how supportive they are. I am very excited for this conference and Im hoping to learn a lot while Im here, not to mention I plan on eating a lot while Im here. That seems to be how I travel though. :)

Speaking of food...Last night after we got settled in the hotel we went across the street to this great little place to grab some grub. The place was called Cosi and it was fantastic!! http://www.getcosi.com/ Check it out, its a chain that NEEDS to make its way to the Westcoast asap. Shelley and I both had a grilled chicken marinated in pesto, smothered in fresh mozzerella, with sun ripened tomato spread on a crispy whole wheat flatbread. OH. MY. GOSH. SOOOOO good! The combination of the flavors, the textures of the gooey, melty cheese combined with the chicken and the sweet tomato taste. Delish!

The hotel is HUGE, they have lower elevators and upper elevators, the lower ones will take you to the high floors, our room is on the 16th floor, and they have others that take you to the conference center floors. Not quite overwhelmingly huge, but close. This morning I woke up and there was a slight dusting of snow on the ground with flurries coming down. For some reason I was expecting to see more snow here but Im glad there isnt more or else I probably wouldnt want to go outside, since we all know how much I LOOOOVE snow. NOT! The hotel beds arent nearly as comfortable as the hotel we stayed in the night before last when we were in Portland but I guess I shouldnt expect super soft sheets and beyond comfortable pillows everywhere I stay at. Dino, the guy who checked us in at the hotel desk (I remember his name because it was unusual, and he was overly eager and happy to do his job) told us that our room was on the quiet side of the hotel with a pretty good view...HA! hahahaha, well...I guess he had the view thing sort of correct, our view isnt exactly obstructed by another building right in front but he lied about the noise thats for sure. I think we must be near a firehouse or something because last night all I heard were sirens going by, and they just KEPT GOING. Really? I mean really? Were on the quiet side? Im a little skeptical, but I cant complain Im in Chicago and how often am I going to have the opportunity to listen to emergency sirens go off all night?
Im currently sitting in the starbucks located in the lobby of our hotel. Its nice and warm in here and Im seated comfortably in the corner people watching, and let me tell you the poeople watching right now is fantastic!! Im pretty sure that a cleaner, more sober looking Amy Winehouse is sitting in here speaking Italian and is being a serial complainer, pain in the ass customer. First they didnt have the right cinnamon she likes, then her coffee wasnt hot enough, then she wanted her coffee cake warmed up again, and then, and then, and then!? Seriously, maybe if you would have ordered it and asked them the first time instead you keep going back and you are being a serious pain in the ass, can I slap you, even I know when too much complaining is too much. NOW she is telling the barista how she gets kicked out of places because she complains so much, and shes from Turkey. There goes my Amy Winehouse comparison. She is telling the guy how when she orders something that she wants it to be her way and that the service should be spectacular if shes going to pay for it. She goes on....happening now, in real time, I think Im a bad person for eavesdropping but who the hell cares, this is good shit!! "Starbucks is like a drug, an addiction, like cocaine" (exact words, you cant make this shit up people) (I feel like I should revisit my Amy Winehouse theory) Honey, I wouldnt go that far because it is mediocre coffee at best however I appreciate the consistency of ordering a drink and knowing that the drink you order is the drink youre going to get. THEN she left a giant mess on her table and left without cleaning is up, rude! The barista at this starbucks is my new favorite person for the day, very good customer service, despite having to deal with Drama Mama above. Either the prices here are REALLY low, or he really enjoyed conversing with me because I managed to get a grande caramel macchiatto and a coffee cake for $4.50, thank you for conversation about Washington and how pretty you think it is and my inexpensive breakfast. Heres another people watching experiences for you, happened about half an hour ago. A guy dressed very similarly like a bum came in and sat down in every single big comfy chair that is here, except for the one my rear is firmly planted in. The bum look alike came in and proceeded to sit very casually in a big cushy chair, he then discreetly reached his hands down under the cushion...I probably wouldnt have thought twice about it but he then checked every single cushy chair in the shop. Im pretty sure he wasnt just testing the plushness of the seats.
I think thats enough excitement for the day, Ive already managed to iron all of my clothes which if you know anything about me is a BIG accomplishment because I LOOOOVE ironing almost as much as I love snow.
Later my lovelies, Im off to check out the Nordstrom across the street. Im desperately in need of some more moisturizer.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness! I encountered a similar woman in a sbux downtown Chi. Claire & I, both former employees, had a hard time not slapping her. ;) Enjoy the city!

    ReplyDelete