Sunday, March 27, 2011

Let's Talk Spring...sort of

Sunshine. Mud puddles. Cool breeze. Crisp air. Green. Flowers. Trees. Cherry blossoms. Grass. Rain. Hail. Longer days. Clouds. Blue skies. Car washes. Umbrellas. Bike rides. Walks. Hikes. Gardens. Plants. Dirt. Lawn mowers. Bird feeders. Yard work. Squirrels. Lawn gnomes. Hey, who snuck that last one in there? Oh yeah, hehe, that was me. So I have a confession to make: I am addicted to lawn gnomes. I love them. I love them so much every time I see a cute little, happy, smiling lawn gnome my heart smiles. I purposely go out of my way just to look at these shiny little pieces of lawn art whenever I go into a store. I like to carefully disguise this as just "checking out" the garden section for a "new pot". We all know what I'm really doing, I'm creepin' the lawn gnomes! So I don't have a logical explanation for my love of lawn gnomes other than they are just so stinkin' cute! I would like to clarify that I have not purchased a lawn gnome and do not currently have one in my possession. This is do to the fact that I have not found the perfect lawn gnome, not for lack of searching because I have done my fair share of looking. I just haven't found the perfect one yet, and I'm being really picky about it. Another simple explanation and reason as to why I do not have one is because my mom thinks they are hideous and refuses to indulge my needs and participate in cutesy lawn gnome oogling. Whew! I said it! I blame my mom for my lack of a lawn gnome. She thinks they are hideous, which really we all know makes me want one even more. Another reason I do not have one is because I have a tiny little yard, it is maybe 8x8ft, and is one lawn gnome enough? If you ask some people they might say that one is too much, which brings me to another reason I do not have one; people think they are hideous. I guess deep down I'm afraid of being judged and ridiculed for having a lawn ornament, when we all know that the only ornaments lawns need are clean and shortly trimmed grass and the occasional flower bed. The last reason as to why I do not have a lawn gnome is because I'm scared. I'm scared to own one not because they might be "evil" or "mischievous" but because I'm afraid somebody might take my precious gnome and try to liberate it. I am against garden gnome liberation! I do want one, but I don't know how I will be able to explain to my roommate why there is a little ceramic man wearing a little red hat sitting in the yard, who has no real purpose other than to sit there and look cute. Lets talk about their cuteness for a second. For the record I would just like to state that not all lawn gnomes are cute. There are some very ugly ones out there and they are the exception. I do not like cheaply made gnomes, plastic gnomes simply will not do. I prefer the real thing, terra cotta all the way. I don't like a lot of junk surrounding them for example: signs that say welcome to my garden, benches, excessive mushrooms, etc. should not go on a lawn ornament; it makes them look cheap. A classy cute faced gnome with a big chipper smile and brightly colored paint is cute to me. I cant really explain why they make my heart smile when I see them but I will try to explore this so that I too can understand my infatuation with a lawn ornament. I think one of the reasons is that they always look so darned happy. They are generally always smiling and sometimes they are being a little mischievous and are mooning you, this really makes me giggle. Side note-I would never place a bare assed lawn gnome in my yard, on my porch, etc. they are NOT classy, but they do make me smile a little. Another reason might have to do with the myth that surrounds them. Back in the day garden gnomes were said to watch over your garden and help tend to it at night. Which we all know I need help with, considering my lack of a green thumb, honestly I try SO hard here! I think the main reason I love these little things is because they make me feel like a kid again. They stir up a magical happiness inside that almost always brings a smile to my face when I see a cute one. Is anybody out there as excited as I am that they made a cute little cartoon movie about gnomes? Gnomeo and Juliet, I cant WAIT to see you!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, NO. Just no!!!!!!!!!

    Fine, whatever floats your boat. But, lawn gnomes are DEFINITELY shitty bitties. There, I said it. SHITTY.BITTIES!!!! Holy man.

    ReplyDelete