Monday, March 21, 2011

June Fucking Cleaver

Lately I've been doing so much baking that my ass should be close to the size of a Buick by now. I love to bake. It's fun and I have a HUGE sweet tooth. So this is where I share the fruits of my labor and show you pictures of what has been made, and then show you how to find the original recipe so that you too can suffer from a blissed out sugar coma just like I have.
First things first, a little over a week ago my bestie Chelsi came over to teach me how to make superbly cute sugar cookies. Chelsi has been making them for awhile now, and then we decided that we needed to have a girls day so she could show me how to make them, so that I can stop eating hers and make my own. Chelsi is a bit of a blog addict and always manages to find great ideas online. The first of her great ideas would be these magically delicious treats. Oooooooooohhh!!! Now THIS is what I call a pancake!! A cinnamon roll pancake! Thats right, a cinnamon roll pancake, one of natures perfect foods, just like bacon. and these are absolutely fantastic! From their chewy center and slightly crisp sugary edges to the delicious cream cheese frosting, these things will send you into a sugar coma so fast that Homer Simpson will call you his hero. We started the day off with these bad boys and then we started in on the cookies.
If you have ever wanted to learn how to make really cute sugar cookies when check out Bridget at Bake at 350 she will teach you all kinds of tricks so you can make cookies like this....

Whilst browsing her site I came across frosted animal cookies and I knew instantly that I had to make these. My excuse was that they would be perfect for my dads birthday, since he happens to be who I get my insatiable sweet tooth from. And I absolutely love these, because they are so stinkin cute! Don't they just take you back to the days when you would sneak into your dads truck to raid his cookie stash??.....just me? figures.. Anyways, my dad loved these and of the 14 cookies I gave him on Monday there was only 1, I repeat one, cookie left by the time I went over on Friday. Woohoo!! Points for Chelsi and me for making deliciously cute sugar cookies.

After a funfilled day of baking cookies and eating cinnamon rolls, err, I mean pancakes I still had a cake to make for a potluck we were having at work. At the end of every quarter we like to get the students together to celebrate the end and eat. We like to eat....a lot. I asked the students what they would like me to bring and peanut butter frosting cake won by a landslide. This cake is super easy to bake, you simply follow the directions on the box and bake. The hardest part is the frosting which is only slightly more difficult than baking the cake itself, and by harder I mean it needs more mixing.. The frosting consists of peanut butter (big surprise), powdered sugar, butter, milk and a little vanilla extract. Doesn't this sound sooo healthy? Who really cares, this cake is great! My mama is the one who taught me how to make it, and its super easy and delicious, much better than any frosting you buy in a can. Feast your eyes on this bad boy. Mmmmm...when paired with milk it doesnt get much better than this. The students loved it and it didnt last for very long.

The next on my list of things to bake this week was a coca cola cake. Last summer my boss and I went to Kentucky for a conference where we discoverd the wonders of Cracker Barrel. Now for those of you that are familiar with Cracker Barrel you know that this is the mecca of all things Southern Cooking. High in fat, high in salt, high is delicious flavor. We went for dinner one night, and by dinner I really mean we went for dessert because thats just how we roll, and we both had a slice of chocolate fudge coca cola cake and a nice cold tall glass of milk. This cake was SUPER! It was so super that I had to track down a recipe so that I could make it when I got home. After comparing numerous recipes online last week I finally settled with this one for chocolate coca cola cake. Mmmmmm...I decided to make it for my boss' birthday, and it didnt turn out too bad. The only thing that would have made it better would be warming it up and serving it up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a nice cold tall glass of milk of course.
Well thats it for my kitchen adventures of the week, stay tuned because the next big idea here is turning my peanut butter cake into chocolate covered cake balls. Can we say YUM-O!? Im salivating just thinking about it. Mmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, wtf? I didn't know you were making a coca cola cake. I've totally never had one, ass.

    I laughed out loud at the 'by harder I mean it takes more mixing...' lol!!!!!! Oh Lordy. Hey, we like to make things that are easy but delicious! IE: not crazy decorated sugar cookies and not super pancakes. Hmmm.... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are difficult friends arent we? hahaha

    ReplyDelete