Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cleaning out my closet


I did it. I finally decided to break down and clean out my closet, and not in the Eminem way, although just the thought amuses me. So a little about me, I am a recovering shopaholic. I enjoy shopping...a lot. I also enjoy being organized. I do not enjoy not having enough space for all of my crap that I have accumulated over my 25 years of existence, and I say 25 because I'm sure there are things in my room that I have had for that long. I enjoy my things, I like what they resemble or the memories that I have had with them. I have a hard time throwing things out because of this. I feel like by getting rid of items that I have had good memories in I am tossing away those memories. I feel like by seeing these items they help remind me of the memories I have had with them. That's one reason I hang onto things. Another reason I hang onto things is because people gave them to me, and I feel like when somebody gives you something there is a reason they wanted you to have it. I don't like it when people give me random items of crap, they are useless to me and I would rather you didn't. I call these items "shitty bitties" and will re gift them or pass them along freely to a new owner in a heartbeat. These items include but are not limited to things that I would not wear (hats, scarves, socks), would not display (trinkets, hangy thingys, windchimes-don't even get me started on these!, ugly painting thingys), would not use in any way shape or form and do not feel that by having these items my life is being enhanced in any way(broaches, foul smelling candles, items I already have (long list of these considering I don't get rid of shit very often). This is not to say that I do not enjoy gifts because I do, but what do you get for "the girl who has everything, shes got gadgets and gizmos a plenty, shes got whos its and whats its galore? You want thingamabobs, Ive got 20." (little mermaid throwback anyone?) AAAnnnyways, back on topic...I hang onto things, even shitty bitties, well at least until I can find them another home, but this isn't the point. The point is that I have accumulated a lot of stuff over my life and have a hard time getting rid of it. Today I went through my closet and you know what I found? A hell of a lot of shoes, I neglected to count because I did not feel that knowing the number was relevant or even important in any way. But I did it, I cut the ties with wait for it....23 pairs!! Woohoo!! I got rid of 23 pairs of shoes today, this is a BIG step for me. Considering that the last time I got rid of shoes. last year sometime, I got rid of a bunch then too. I try to go through my closet on a regular basis because as I stated above I am a recovering shopaholic and I somehow manage to acquire more stuff on occasion, which is a very mysterious phenomena if you ask me. I also sifted through my jeans, hats, scarves, sweaters and belts. I managed to toss out 3 bags of stuff that I no longer feel the need to have any attachment to. I feel kind of bad though. I feel bad because I tossed out things that still had original price tags on them. EEEK!!! I'm a bad person, I know. At one time I couldn't wait to wear these things but never managed to get around to it so they just got shoved to the back of the closet, trends changed and they were forgotten about. Times like this I wish that stores had longer return policies. Now that I have started to purge I feel compelled to finish the task and continue purging my wardrobe and rest of the house (look out house, shes on a mission!!). It started with the closet and hopefully this week I will manage to get around to the two dressers and armwoir, but that might be pushing it a bit, we will see. After all they are just things, and things don't really matter in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad to hear you're recovering. I really am not a shopaholic and I use several of my friends *cough* as examples when Brandon is mad because I bought TWO things since the beginning of the year. For serious... I was like do you know that Shandy has MULTIPLE huge bins of shoes? Kristine has plenty of Kate Spade and Marc Jacobs in her life? Oh and Liz who is always showing up in the cutest new trends. Puh-lease, Brandon. My useless spending is on craft binges and things for the kids. I will admit that but unless there are black sweats on sale, I'm pretty well contained. ;o)

    Left you an award back on my blog, sistah!

    ReplyDelete