Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wheat thins sun dried tomato basil crackers FTW!

Random title but that's all I've got for this evening.
Today's thought provoking question of the day...
What's the most sensible thing you've ever heard someone say?
A good friend once told me this...and I'm going to mess this up no matter how I say it because nobody is nearly as articulate as this particular friend is when it comes to passing along wisdom, but here goes..When you're trying to make yourself happy there's always going to be someone you're not going to make happy; you have to worry about whats best for you. I used to beat myself up a lot when it would come to breaking up with somebody or doing something that I wanted to do that would make me happy. This wise friend told me that life is too short to worry about whether or not you're making somebody else unhappy, you have to do what is best for you. I realize this sounds a little selfish but its a really important lesson that I had to learn. It only hurts for a minute and you cant beat yourself up for wanting to be happy, so why should you be sad for getting what you want? I've learned to be with this now, and I feel like I do a better job of getting to the point, being honest about feelings, needs, and talking about what I really want.
This friend has also made me a better person by helping to teach me how to live in the moment. The phrase "be where you are" is something I try to live by everyday. The only thing I have to do at that very moment is to be where I am and do what I'm doing. Often times we get too far ahead of ourselves and don't stop to think about the moment we are in and whether or not we are fully experiencing it as we should. I try very hard on a daily basis to be where I am. I feel like life is really about the little things and literally stopping to enjoy the moment. When I was mountain biking the other day the trail had the most amazing wildflower smell to it. As I was riding along on the bumpy trail, the only thing going through my head was how great the air smelled, how much fun I was having and how happy I was to be there. Being in that moment was all that mattered to me and I'm so thankful I got to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment