Thursday, June 23, 2011

Coffee want vs need



The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup? Negative. The best part of waking up is hitting the snooze button 5 times before you look at the clock and panic, because unless you can manage to get everything done in 20 minutes, face it- you're going to be late! They don't tell you that in the commercials, instead they try to convince you to buy some shitty ass coffee that will put hair on your chest because its really meant for old men who have lost all of the tastebuds on their tongue. I'm all for a good cup of morning joe, in fact I am a big fan of coffee. But let's be honest here, coffee is only as good as the shit you put in it. I'm talkin candy coffee, heavily laced with milk, some caramel and enough syrup to spike your blood sugar for the next hour and a half before you crash harder than amy winehouses career after last weeks shitteous performance. Yeah, that's the stuff! I enjoy coffee because it does a nice job perking me up but that's just an added bonus. The real reason I drink the shit is because its delicious and it makes me feel calm for the brief time that I am allowed to drink it. For me coffee is about the experience. Its about savoring the rich flavors, the warmth of the drink, the aromatics escaping your cup and the feeling of serenity that you get when you take your first sip. Coffee is comforting, its like your favorite fluffy blanket on a cold day, or a good hug. As much as I appreciate the side effects of feeling perkier after a good latte I hate the jittery part. I hate the feeling of being jittery, and wired beyond control..apparently that happens with caffeine sensitive people, they get wired off of one cup of joe. Ok so what's the point of this blog? Well..this is me and I don't really have one. I was simply sitting in my office which I like to refer to as the batcave, waiting for my coworker to hurry up and get here so we could march on down to the belly of the beast and get a nice warm cup of poo producing coffee. Did I mention that? Coffee makes you poo, which is why I'm convinced that old people are so regular with their morning poo, because their cup of tar or folgers as the commercials call it has made them that way. Only, she got here late and by then I decided I didn't really need a coffee today, I only wanted one. Isn't that how it goes though? Do you really need coffee or is it more of a want? Let's be real for a minute if you're going to drop 4 bones on a cup of coffee is it because you need it or because you just really want it and want the comfort that its going to give you? Maybe that's just me, I drink it for the experience and not because I need it. Although...there are days when I need a good strong latte to keep me from falling asleep in the batcave, which mostly happen on slow days that seem to always follow long nights out the night before. I don't have an addictive personality so if I wanted to lay off the sauce I could, but that would mean that my "couple times weekly" jaunt down to the coffee shop would be gone, which would therefore lower my vitamin d intake, which we all know I need because I'm a pasty white girl living in the pnw. I don't think I even need to mention that I'm all for supporting the local coffee owners efforts to provide me with a good cup of creamy goodness. I can rationalize anything!!....but that's for another post on another day when I'm not daydreaming of shemar moore....errrr...I mean, a good creamy, sugary laden cup of joe.


Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment